With all of the different fad diets, weight loss programs and alternative medicine solutions, it can be difficult to decide which solution is right for you. You may have tried a variety of elimination diets or supplements and still aren’t feeling as healthy as you would like.
The underlying cause is that every person is different. You have a unique set of genes that determines what “health” specifically means for your particular body. Nutrigenomics aims to understand your unique genetic makeup and create a nutritional plan tailored to your DNA.
What is Nutrigenomics?
Nutrigenomics (also known as nutritional genomics) is a branch of genetic research that evaluates how food affects genes. It is closely related to its mirror field, nutrigenetics, which explores how genes affect the way the body reacts to food.
According to 2017 Proceedings of Nutrition Society, “The application of nutrigenomics research offers substantial potential to improve public health through the use of metabolomics approaches to identify novel biomarkers of food intake, which will lead to more objective and robust measures of dietary exposure. Nutrigenomics may have applications in the development of personalized nutrition interventions, which may facilitate larger, more appropriate and sustained changes in eating (and other lifestyle) behaviors and help to reduce health inequalities.
Nutrigenomics and nutrigenetics take nutrition counseling to the molecular level. Our DNA defines unique traits such as eye and hair color, height and facial features. Genes also define how we relate to food including lactose sensitivity, muscle mass, allergies and caffeine tolerance.
Through studying the human genome, researchers and scientists have discovered that different people respond differently to diets. Because of DNA variations, each individual will have different relationships with metabolic efficiency, weight management and nutrient absorption. Nutrigenomics maintains that there is no “one size fits all” approach to nutrition.
7 Health Benefits of Nutrigenomics
By understanding nutrition at the genetic level, nutrigenomics can help determine the exact lifestyle necessary to help you feel more energized, healthy and balanced.
- Eating Behavior: Discover your genetic eating patterns that may increase your sweet tooth, snack cravings and metabolism speed.
- Food Allergies: Even if your body doesn’t show signs of inflammation or reaction, your genes may reveal an intolerance toward lactose, gluten, alcohol or certain proteins.
- Nutrient Absorption: Your genes can dictate which nutrients you may need more of less than generally recommended. Certain vitamins may optimize or hinder your energy more than generally recommended.
- Energy Levels: DNA can indicate which foods will give you an energy boost, increase concentration, and increase sleep quality.
- Athletic Activity: While everyone can benefit from exercise, your genes can reveal the type and duration that will most efficiently burn calories for you.
- Emotional Stability: DNA can reveal that certain foods may trigger neurological and hormone imbalances that can affect depression, anxiety, PMS and bipolar disorders.
- Metabolic Health Factors: Discover how your diet affects your cholesterol and blood sugar levels. Learn how you may be at an increased risk for diseases and auto-immune conditions including fibromyalgia, chronic pain, cancer, diabetes, heart disease and stroke.
According to a 2013 UC Davis Study, “The ultimate goal of personalizing nutrition is to enable each individual to be guided by predictive knowledge of their personal health to diets that prevent disease and maximize health potential. To achieve such a goal, the science needed will extend from new accurate and predictive measures of health based on molecular signatures of metabolites, proteins, transcripts, genes, and microbiota (Panagiotou & Nielsen 2009). The need for personalized nutrition is derived from the recognition that people are metabolically, physiologically, and genetically different and therefore have different responses to food compounds (Panagiotou & Nielsen 2009).
How Does Nutrigenomics Testing Work?
Nutrigenomics testing uses a DNA sample to compile a personalized genetic report.
1. Obtain DNA Sample
At Natural Bio Health, our Pro7 genetic test can be taken in office in 5-10 minutes. You also have the option to take the test at home. Simply swab the inside of your cheek with a soft bristled swab. Unlike other DNA tests, no blood or excessive saliva is necessary.
2. Run Test
Our Pro7 genetic health profile software identifies up to 55+ scientifically validated genetic SNPs (single-nucleotide polymorphism) that could be affecting your health. The major panels review gene expressions for
- Neurotransmitter Processing
- Mitochondrial Function
- Inflammatory Potential
- Health Precautions
3. Review Results and Create Plan
Our providers will review your profile, interpret your results and provide insights on how to choose the best nutrition and lifestyle plan for you. During an in-depth consultation, we explain genetic mutation treatments including all-natural pharmaceutical grade supplements and custom diet recommendations.
Contact Natural Bio Health Today
Since 1999, Natural Bio Health has helped thousands of people regain their quality of life, prevent disease and maintain a strong immune system for optimal health. Through a careful review of health history, genetics and lifestyle, our providers are able to create individualized wellness plans to address the root-cause of your underlying health concerns.
Whether your personal struggles are with hormone imbalance, weight, sleep, energy, libido, migraines or depression, Natural Bio Health is committed to help you restore your quality of life and achieve optimal mental and physical health.