If you’re suffering from seasonal allergies, try these natural antihistamines to boost your immune system and relieve symptoms.
According to the Asthma and Allergy Foundation of America, over 20 million of adults are affected by allergic rhinitis also known as hay fever or seasonal allergies. Seasonal allergies are symptoms of how the body responds to pollen exposure when outdoors. Pollen from grass, weeds, trees and resin are very common plant allergens.
When the immune system comes in contact with pollen – through the sinuses, lungs or skin – it detects a foreign particle and wants to eliminate it. Brain, stomach and blood cells release a chemical called histamine to trigger inflammation at the contact site. The inflammation can cause a variety of symptoms.
Symptoms of Seasonal Pollen Allergies
- Runny nose and mucus production
- Sneezing and coughing
- Itchy nose, eyes, ears and mouth
- Stuffy nose or nasal congestion
- Red, swollen or watery eyes
How to Reduce Exposure to Pollen
You can prevent the root cause of seasonal allergies by reducing your exposure to pollen.
- Check weather apps to determine the pollen count each day
- Try to limit outdoor activity when pollen counts are high
- Keep windows shut during peak days
- Dry clothes in dryer instead of on clothesline
- Change your clothes after you go indoors
- Use a HEPA filter indoors to reduce indoor allergens
You can also reduce the amount of histamines released by taking an antihistamine. Over-the-counter or prescription antihistamine medications may provide symptom relief, but they can cause side effects, such as drowsiness and nausea. However there are a variety of natural antihistamine remedies that do not cause side effects.
4 Natural Antihistamines to Relieve Seasonal Allergies
1. Vitamin C
Vitamin C is a natural antihistamine and immune system booster. According to a 2018 study, oxidative stress plays a key role in allergic reactions. Since vitamin C is a powerful antioxidant and anti-inflammatory, it may reduce allergy symptoms. The study also found that a deficiency in vitamin C might lead to allergy-related diseases.
Vitamin C is present in many fruits and vegetables including:
Ginger root is a natural histamine blocker and supports the immune system. Ginger also supports gut health. You can use powdered ginger as a spice when baking or make ginger tea. To prepare raw ginger, shave off a small piece and put it in a mug. Pour hot water over it and steep for 3-5 minutes. Then drink and enjoy.
Thyme has very high levels of vitamin C. The herb includes a variety of anti-inflammatory compounds, which work together to block histamine and prevent the release of histamine from mast cells. Sprinkle thyme as a seasoning on top of omelettes, fish and chicken dishes, veggies and soups.
Turmeric is a spice that can prevent histamine release and even inhibit anaphylactic reactions. Use turmeric to season chicken and beef dishes or add to rice or potatoes. You can also make turmeric tea.
By mixing and matching foods and flavors from the list above, you can prepare a powerful meal to combat seasonal allergies.
4 Supplements to Boost Immune System
Natural Bio Health offers a variety of natural supplements to support immune health. A strong immune system can help reduce all types of allergic reactions including those that occur due to exposure to mold, dust and fragrances.
- Vitamin D: Research shows how Vitamin D plays an important role in reducing respiratory inflammation, boosting immunity and increasing overall health. Add a weekly 50K IU Vitamin D supplement as a main staple in your diet.
- Zinc: Zinc is an immune-essential mineral. A zinc deficiency can increase risk for infections. Zinc helps fight colds and early flu symptoms as well as acts as an anti-inflammatory agent.
- Magnesium: Magnesium keeps the immune system strong, helps strengthen muscles and bones, and supports many body functions from cardiac functions to brain functions. It is also a key hormone regulator for women. Low magnesium levels can lead to menopausal symptoms.
- Probiotic: 70% of immune cells reside in the gut. Probiotic Supplements help clean your digestive tract, stop sugar and carb cravings, reduce body fat and stop acid reflux. Symptoms of an unhealthy gut include imbalances of good and bad bacteria, heartburn, gas and bloating, irritable bowel syndrome, upset stomach, GERD, diverticulitis, constipation or diarrhea, fatigue, headaches, obesity or other weight struggles.
Contact Natural Bio Health Today
Our team is dedicated to helping you understand the numerous factors that may be preventing optimal health. Learn more about taking control of your health. Join the wellness journey to achieve optimal health, fight disease and boost immune health to combat viruses. Visit naturalbiohealth.com.
Our team of specialists understands our patients’ concerns about office safety during the time of COVID-19. We are proud to offer telemedicine services through video and phone calls. We are also seeing patients in person at our offices, but are abiding by new, strict safety precautions. To schedule your appointment, contact us here. We serve patients in Austin, Houston, San Antonio, Round Rock, and College Station.